Friday, February 18, 2011

First Post...Whoop!

To start off this digital portfolio of sorts, I thought I would share a little bit of what I've been working on for the past few weeks.

I have been creating album art for various songs in an upcoming reaction-based music game called ReRave. It's a music game where markers come up and you tap, slide or hold them in time with the music. Fairly basic and easy to understand. The team in charge of the game is Step Evolution LLC and their team has two fantastic rhythm game pioneers, Chris Foy and Kyle Ward. I had worked with both of them making stepcharts for another game by the name of Positive Gaming iDANCE which is a DDR-like game but geared towards group fitness and exercise. I had just made some song covers for fun and posted them online and Kyle had caught a glimpse of them and asked if I would be interested in helping them out with more so of course I had to say yes. It was a chance to work on a really awesome product while doing what I love - designing.

These are just a few of the album covers I designed for the game -

Freestyle Disco by S.I Futures. I chose to go with a more simple, retro 80's feel for this one. The song is very funk and dance-y. I have the song title the imprinted feel by adding in an inner shadow and sharpening it up a bit. I recreated the artist "SIF" logo in the middle of the disco ball with the pen tool as well. I gave the "S.I. Futures" text the 3D effect by selecting the original text, holding alt, and pressing the down arrow multiple times. I then merged all of the new layers and gave them the "in your face" perspective. 

In The Hall Of The Mountain King by KaW. KaW is one of Kyle's aliases when he performs his own music. This was a remix of the classical song by the same name that everyone knows. Not much manipulation to the stock image of the mountain landscape. This one was more typography tweaks and layer styles. The cover pretty much says it all. 

Fleadh Uncut by Ian Parker. This song is more of an Irish flute sounding song so I wanted to kind of capture a nice hillside in Ireland. I added a filter to the original image to give it a nice painted look and then added the clovers on top of the background. How could I have not put in the clovers in the background? It's Irish!

Paradise by Smiley. Smiley is also another alias that Kyle uses when making his music. He reserves it more for his happy, upbeat music. To get the base image the way it is, I cut the photo in half and brightened up the lower half of the image since it was darker and adjusted the overall contrast. For the "Paradise" text, I doubled up 2 layers of text to give it the double-stroked look.

Spot On Phunk by Basement Freaks. For this one, I chose to go with a funky disco look with a little bit of crazy mixed in. I added a blur filter to the base image and then a stylized paint filter to give it the oil painting on canvas look. I then applied layer styles to the text and positioned them.



For those interested, ReRave will be released on March 10, 2011 on all Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch AND iPad!). I would definitely check it out if you have the chance. It's shaping up to be quite a game! 

No comments:

Post a Comment